Maya Angelou, an inspiring author, poet, and civil rights activist has passed away this week, with tons of articles showcasing her most famous quotes. Stumbling upon some of my all-time favorites, I realized that Maya’s writings are not only beautiful for personal affairs, but will dramatically improve your business if put into play.
- Starting a business can be tough with relentless hours. Maintaining or growing a business is even more work. Invigorate yourself and your employees with these two quotes: “Nothing will work unless you do.” “All great achievements require time.”
- “My mission in life is not merely to survive, but to thrive; and to do so with some passion, some compassion, some humor, and some style.”
- True success starts with a positive attitude. “Success is liking yourself, liking what you do, and liking how you do it.”
- “If you get, give. If you learn, teach.”
- And my favorite: “People will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.” Richard Branson, Virgin founder said, “Praise people and people flourish; criticize people and they shrivel up.” Constantly focusing on how customers and employees “feel” has lead them to become one of the most successful retailers in the industry.
Thanks, Dr. Maya Angelou for being an endless inspiration. Encourage some business leadership in your next staff meeting with these gems.